Catalysts for Change: Caribbean Women and Governance
Catalysts for Change is a web-based resource portal created to serve as a focal point for discussion and dissemination of information on strengthening the political participation of women in the Caribbean region. The portal is a product of the joint UNDP and UNIFEM project “Gender Mainstreaming: Strengthening the Participation of Women in Politics in Caribbean Political and Parliamentary Processes.” The portal provides an excellent opportunity to strengthen the network of women in politics, governance and decision-making. The portal provides access to:
• A database of information and networks that support women political participation in the Caribbean region.
• News articles and current events and activities related to women’s political participation in the Caribbean.
• An annotated bibliography of books, papers and documents on women and political participation in the Caribbean.
• A Discussion Forum facility that allows for an exchange of ideas and information among website visitors on topics related to women’s political participation.
• Links to other selected resources on female participation in the parliamentary and political process.
Nov 25, 2004, 07:49
UNIFEM and UNDP Barbados/OECS Project
There is a high level of legal commitment by governments in Barbados and the OECS addressing women’s equality. Regional and international instruments (e.g. CEDAW, the Inter-American Convention of Belem do Para, Beijing et al) have been aligned with national constitutional commitments. However, the low and uneven level of women in political participation and decision-making processes signals a high degree of marginalization and the persistence of gender-biased cultural and gender socialization patterns...
Dec 22, 2004, 08:14
Women’s Political Participation: Training in Governance and Democracy
The Project is funded by the Organisation of American States (OAS) for three years since 2002.
Participating countries: Antigua and Barbuda, Guyana, St. Kitts and Nevis.
Goals of the Project:
- To increase women’s political participation and create competent, effective and committed women politicians.
- To provide women with the full exercising of citizenship by promoting, forging and strengthening of alliances, networking and coalitions of women at the national and regional levels
Dec 30, 2004, 21:42
Engendering Political Participation in the OECS
This project is one component of the Caribbean Policy Development Centre’s programme on Democratic Governance and Popular Participation. The project seeks to increase the number of women in political office, whether in local or national government systems in Barbados and the OECS and thereby ensure that gender awareness and sensitivity is brought to the policy decision making processes of the sub-region.
Jan 10, 2005, 08:36
Minister Joanne Massiah to Lead Antiguan Delegation to International Whaling Commission Meeting
Minister of Marine Resources and Agro Industries in Antigua & Barbuda, Senator Joanne Massiah, will lead the country's delegation to the 58th Annual Commissioners Meeting of the International Whaling Commission which begins in St. Kitts/Nevis on June 15th. Please click here for full article.
Jun 15, 2006, 16:19